When someone asks you what you think is the most popular film quote, what would you say? Something from Star Wars? Titanic? Taxi Driver?
According to a new survey from the Radio Times, the most popular film quote, as voted for by the British public is “To infinity…and beyond!”, the iconic phrase from pint-sized astronaut Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story.
A very close second was Michael Caine’s “You’re only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!” from 1969 classic British film The Italian Job.
The complete top 10 is:
- “To infinity…and beyond” Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story.
- “You’re only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!” Charlie Croker, The Italian Job
- “Say hello to my little friend.” Tony Montana, Scarface
- “He’s not the Messiah. He’s a very naughty boy!” The mother of Brian, Monty Python’s Life of Brian
- “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.” Brody, Jaws
- “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn!” Rhett Butler, Gone With the Wind
- “Infamy, infamy, they’ve all got it in for me!” Julius Caesar, Carry on Cleo
- “All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.” Roy Batty, Blade Runner
- “Nobody’s perfect” Osgood E Fielding III, Some Like it Hot
- “We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!” Withnail, Withnail & I
As it was the British public who were polled for this, there is no great surprise that the likes of The Italian Job, Monty Python and the Carry On made the top 10.
In comparison to the AFI list of the top 100 movie quotes, aside from “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn” which ranks as number one, the highest ranking quote is “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.” from Jaws, which ranks at number 35.
It’s surprising that the likes of “May the Force be with you” from Star Wars or “Here’s Johnny!” from the Shining hasn’t made the list, while Some Like it Hot and Blade Runner have. This will be more due to the readership of Radio Times than anything else, so I’m intrigued – what do the readers of Steph on Screen think?
Keep up to date with my monthly newsletter. Click here to subscribe!